Monday, September 29, 2008

Do you need a ride somewhere?

So many times I find myself wondering what my purpose in this life is and then something happens to remind me.
Last week, the weather was gorgeous and my kids were outside tossing the football around in the road. Then Tori came in to tell me that there was a lady outside who would like to use our phone. I went outside and introduced myself and she explained she was waiting for her friend, who lived across the street from us to get home and he was already 1/2 hour late and she needed to get home to shower, and get to work by 6. She used our phone and I said, if she couldn't get a ride I would be willing to get her where she needed to be. Of course, no one was picking up the phone and time was ticking away. So, she took me up on my offer. It wasn't long into our drive that just in small talk I learned that she was a hurting women. Sounded like most of her relationships were not very healthy, and so I thought I would invite her to the conference that our church is holding called, "Intimate Issues." She asked about our church and I explained that it's a Bible believing church and our teaching come directly from the scriptures. Turns out she is a born-again Christian. She knows the truth and realizes that she needs to turn to Christ for the help she needs. As we got closer to her place, the more the tears ran down her face. My heart just broke over her pain. She kept apologizing and as we pulled into her driveway, she shared that she was battling an addiction. At this point, my response is, "Oh!" Now, I am a little concerned, because no one really knows where I am at all, because I was only planning on dropping her off and so I just left. I realize, I may not be in the safest place and quite frankly, I felt pretty unequipped to help. I called my hubby and gave him the info. as to where I was and asked for him to find some numbers that I could call to try to get this woman some help. There are a ton of other details to this story, but here's what I have come to realize because of it.
My purpose~Love the Lord my God with all my heart, soul, mind, and strength, 2nd Love my neighbor as myself.
This was an interruption to my day, but this is really what this life is all about. Caring for others. My job is to just show up faithful daily and embrace these divine interruptions. Oh, how ill equip I am, this is for sure, but God is able.
I would love to say this story has a storybook ending, but as of now, not so much. I ended up realizing that it is hard to get "on the spot help" with addictions and for those who battle them, the only jobs they can find are ones in positions where the temptations are enormous. I took her to work, (against my better judgement) and left her with a bible, phone number to a place that could help, and my phone number, letting her know we would help her in whatever way we could. We hugged and she was on her way. I haven't heard from her and I pray that she is ok.
I find myself asking the Lord, what that was all about anyways? I may never know this side of glory, but I am thankful to have met this beautiful women, and am humbled that I could show her the love of Christ.
On my knees, praying for the freedom of those who are bound,
Connie

1 comment:

Jane said...

Being available to God can be an exciting adventure and He often takes us places we would never choose to go. Your availability is convicting to me as I would probably have turned away. I'm thankful for your sweet spirit.
~auntie jane

JOURNEY

Life is not a problem to be solved; it is an adventure to be lived.
~John Eldredge