Thursday, March 1, 2012

Thoughtful Thursday


This is a photo I caught of my beautiful cousin and her new husband.  I just love it and the computer doesn't do it justice compared to when I had it printed.  I don't even think they know I took it.  I love to think that in the midst of the hoop-la of the day they were able to have a brief intimate exchange between just the two of them.  Their wedding was the best wedding I have ever been to.  Makes me want to have a do over.  My uncle, her dad, performed the ceremony and it was the most honest and encouraging one I have ever heard.  They both went into marriage with eyes wide open.  This was so opposite from my very own wedding ceremony. On the day I took my vows to be Troy's bride, I did not realize what I was signing up for.  Good thing, because it is a big responsibility to be a wife and I may have gotten cold feet.  
It's no wonder why some do.  
I entered into this covenant very naive, but I am so thankful to be learning as I go.  
I am in the middle of a Bible Study right now that is on marriage.  The title is "Women Making a Difference in Marriage".  I have done many marriage studies, so I am pretty familiar with the usual material.  Today, I am pondering something that I read a few weeks ago, that has left an impact.  She wrote, as the wife, it is my responsibility to guard my husband heart and to manage my home.  Hmmmm.....I know about managing my home, but hadn't given much thought to the guarding my husbands heart.  What does that look like?  After all, he is a man, doesn't he know enough to look after his own heart?   
My thoughtful conclusion.
It is my responsibility to build him up and not tear him down with my words.  I am to be his helper, not his boss or his mother for that matter.  I am to intercept the ads that come in the mail that may be trying to seduce him in to lust and an unrealistic impression of beauty.  When were out, I am the one to help when women dress to draw his eye.  I am his sounding board when he finds himself in a dilemma.  When I am speaking of him to others, my words are to be honoring.  
Guard his heart, guard his heart.  It's my job as a wife.   
If you were to ask me 2 days ago, "How are you doing in the area of managing your home?"  My response would have been......"Pretty well, thank you for asking."  But after further thought, I'm not so sure I am doing that swell.  For years, I have been barking out, "Let's get rid of that silly TV."  Mind you, I just mean in the sense of watching shows, not the actual TV itself.  I have never discuss this in a way that would be open for discussion, more like, just do what I say, type attitude.  Needless to say, this has not worked out very well.  After reading my study and watching "our" shows this past evening, I have realized that I need to present this in a way that is respectful and in a way that will be received well, for the very sake of protecting not only my husbands heart, but my precious children and even my own.  
If I am to take my responsibilities seriously, that means I need to act in a manner that is receivable.  I may be right in my efforts, but if I acting like a drill sergeant, it is likely I will be repelling the very people I am responsible for.  Guard his heart and manage your home, guard his heart and manage your home. 
It's my job.  
I asked the question, "What does that look like?"  It looks like it begins with my own attitude.

"You were taught with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by it's deceitful desires; to be made new in the attitude of your minds; and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness."
Ephesians 4:22-24 

  Blessings, Connie   

1 comment:

Julia said...

I'm entering the blogging world again and saw this post! Thanks Connie for the kind words, and for the encouraging thoughts after! :)

JOURNEY

Life is not a problem to be solved; it is an adventure to be lived.
~John Eldredge