Wednesday, June 4, 2008

SOL/Connie

BACKYARD BASEBALL A TREASURED MOMENT IN TIME

"Hey Dad, will you play catch with me after dinner?"
Sure, get your glove.

Cleaning up from dinner, I look outside to see the two of them tossing the ball back and forth. Next thing I hear...

"Can I play too?"
Sure go grab your glove.

So on I go about my mom business. Putting away school books for summer and looking ahead for what's to come next fall. Walking back into the kitchen I look out the window and see the 3 older boys have brought out some bats and the game is on. Everyone is having a great time. Smiles and laughter fill the air as the game goes on. Oh how I wish I could bottle up this moment in time. I continue with my business and try to burn the image in my mind as to not soon forget.

Pound, Pound, Pound on the glass of the patio door.....muffled, "Mom, Mom, Mom, can you please come out and help us?"

Ok, I'll be right there. Part of me wants to stay in and finish what I'm doing, but the other voice in my head reminds me that these days will soon be over. So out I go.

"Who's team am I on?"
Ours
"Who's up to bat?"
You can go.

The Field which consists of all the older boys laugh, and say, "Everybody move in!!!"
"Oh you funny boys."
They move in and I smack it way past their heads. "Who's laughing now, boys?"

On first base is my oldest child who proceeds to put his arm around me and tell me how much he loves me. For a moment, I pat myself on the back and think, "WOW, he is 13 and does this in front of his friends. I must have done something right!!!" Then I realize, by the firm grip around my neck, that he is just trying to hold me at first.

SO the game of backyard baseball went, laughter, complaining, smiles and tears, overall we had fun.

Before long darkness was upon us and it was time to turn in. The gloves, bats, and tennis ball were put away and the neighbor kids put on their shoes and rode home quickly before the street lights came on.

The yard is still until next time.

By: Connie Hoehne June 2008

2 comments:

Jane said...

This is a sweet slice of life! I know exactly the feeling you are trying to describe. I had it often when my boys would play basketball with all their friends in our backyard both here and in Champaign. Sigh...
Hold tight,
~auntie jane

Jessica-MomForHim said...

Wow, well written! This is a great short story! And it's great that you have it on your blog for posterity, because our memories are never what we wish they would be.

JOURNEY

Life is not a problem to be solved; it is an adventure to be lived.
~John Eldredge